No matter where we were born or which passport we hold, as followers of Jesus we belong to His Kingdom. If we join a sports team, club or community group there are expectations of how we should behave and treat others in that community. Jesus sets out a culture in the Sermon on the Mount. His Beatitudes outline principles and privileges we have as His disciples; they show us what it means to belong to His community, the Kingdom of God.
Engage with God’s Word
Read [bible]Matthew 5[/bible].
- What does it mean to belong to the Kingdom of God?
- Which of the Beatitudes catches your attention? Are some more challenging than others? Why?
- Which culture are you taking your cues from?
- What does it look like when people express the values Jesus talks about?
- Do we demonstrate the values of the Kingdom?
We can go about our daily lives, perhaps focused on work or school, and get carried away with what we have to do. Before we know it our attention has shifted away from Jesus and how He wants us to grow. How can you keep Jesus ‘front and centre’ throughout your day and week? The Beatitudes refocus our attention on Kingdom values. Consider memorising them or writing them out and sticking them around your home. What is God asking you to do?