Times of Refreshing – Part 1
Weariness, burnouts and powerlessness can be a part of our up-and-down journey as believers. The world and society offer a plethora of self-help solutions, but our Creator is the only one who knows how best to refresh us. He refreshes us not just for ourselves, but so we can minister more effectively to others. Refreshment from Him does not mean we will simply go back to the way we used to live, because frankly, that way of life did not work. As Pastor Heather suggests, the King of kings deserves a greater offering than that. Time of refreshing starts by repenting. When we change our mind, our behaviour and the way we live, time of refreshing will flow.
Read Acts 3:1-20
- Have you ever found yourself working ineffectively (at work/uni/home, etc)? What was the cause and how did you find it? What helped you to refresh and reset?
- In the context of Acts 3, why did Peter tell the Israelites to repent? What did they do?
- Pastor Heather teaches that repentance is not a chore, but a gift from God. Repentance releases us from the burdens and chains we have become used to carrying. Why can repenting be difficult?
- Compare and contrast Peter’s experience with that of Jesus in Luke 5:1-11 and John 21:1-19. What do you find interesting in these two passages? Why did Jesus ask Peter the same question three times?
- Although Peter walked alongside Jesus, he stumbled a few times in his personal relationship with Jesus. However, the King of kings always gave Peter a second chance. How have you personally experienced this in your relationship with Christ? Knowing that when we have Christ in us, we have countless second chances, how can we not take this for granted?
- A time of refreshing from God will remind us of who God is, and of the time when we first fell in love with Jesus. Where are you in your faith journey right now? Share a short testimony of when and where your faith journey began.
As we repent, time of refreshing flows. Have some quiet time right now and reflect on your current season of life. Which area/s in your life right now need repentance? Take a moment to pray in your heart and bring it to God.
After prayer time, what does working effectively for His Kingdom look like for you in this season?