Our Highest Value
Joseph, the earthly father of Jesus, demonstrated faith and obedience by acting courageously despite a confusing and challenging family situation. He trusted God to work things out and submitted to His will when he could have taken an easier way out. His decision cost him dearly but allowed the kingdom of God to advance. What can we learn from such a courageous father?
- In terms of family of origin, household and life experiences, where have you come from? What was it like growing up in your shoes?
- What promises did the Angel of the Lord make to Hagar? How would you react if Genesis 16:12 was for you? What was Hagar’s response and why?
- What does it mean to you that God sees us and hears us?
- Why is it easy for us to believe that God doesn’t hear and see us? Have you experienced trouble/suffering/brokenness to a point that you doubted Him? Share how overcame it.
- Pastor Dale teaches that when we understand that God sees and hears us, there will be a time when he opens our eyes and ears to the suffering around us. Do you think it is important for believers to be aware of the suffering around us, even if we are not directly affected by it? Why or why not?
- Sometimes we take a step back when someone we know is facing a challenging situation, simply because we do not know to respond. How can we respond compassionately when someone shares their pain with us, without minimizing their experiences or trying to solve all their problems at once?
Time and time again we experience how God sees and hears us. No matter how big or small the challenges we are facing, He is with us and for us. The deeper we grow in Christ, the more He will open our ears and eyes for the people around us. What can we do as a group to show love for those who are going through difficult times within the broader community?