Fixing our eyes – Part 1
As we step into 2024, our theme this year is Fixing Our Eyes, taken from Hebrews 12:2, “and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.” As Christians, we live best when we gaze upon our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. The world will offer so many different things to gaze upon, but only in Him do we find satisfaction, security, and help. Jesus is worthy of our gaze.
- Pastor Dale says, “beauty captures our gaze, but that which is profound will hold our gaze.” He shared about his experience with renown ancient paintings and the view at the Grand Canyon. What about your experience? What have you seen that has held your gaze with awe and wonder? Why?
- Read Hebrew 12:1-2. Why did the writer of the book of Hebrews suggests us to fix our eyes on Jesus? What does this mean to you? how can we do this?
- Read 2 Corinthians 4:18 (NLT). What is your understanding of fixing our gaze on things that cannot be seen? In the context of 2 Corinthians 4, what troubles do they need to not look at? How might this apply to us today?
- Pastor Dale teaches that where your focus goes, where you spend a lot of time and energy, is where you will develop a neural pathway around these things; some of these pathways can create hardwired paths around stress, fear, anger, and anxiety to name a few. Can you identify what you would normally focus on and spend a lot of energy in? Is it helpful? Do you need to change your focus?
- How often do you find yourself gazing at things or circumstances that you cannot control, and you cannot resolve? What goes into your mind when you are in that zone? What could help instead?
- Read Psalm 63:1-8 and Psalm 121:1-2. Based on these readings, why do we need to gaze upon the Lord? What do we get from gazing upon Him? How can this be a benefit?
There will be a plethora of things that capture our gaze daily. It might be your career, finance, relationship, or family to name a few. However, those things do not last. Sometimes they can even chain us down. We must gaze upon Jesus, as He will give us life and have it to the full (John 10:10). As we start the year, how can you focus more on gazing upon Jesus this year? What is one thing you can start today to change this?Download PDF