Our Highest Value
Joseph, the earthly father of Jesus, demonstrated faith and obedience by acting courageously despite a confusing and challenging family situation. He trusted God to work things out and submitted to His will when he could have taken an easier way out. His decision cost him dearly but allowed the kingdom of God to advance. What can we learn from such a courageous father?
- Did you have a father figure in your life who had a positive influence on your personal development? How did this person reflect the father heart of God?
- Read Matthew 1:18-25. What questions might have crossed Joseph’s mind when he was told that his fiancée was pregnant, considering the cultural context? What might an ordinary man do in this situation if he didn’t have faith in God?
- In what ways did Joseph’s response demonstrate his trust in God? What can we learn from this when we are caught up in an apparently unfair situation?
- A key quality of manhood and fatherhood is courage in the face of uncertain circumstances. What does Joshua 1:3-9 promise when we follow through with courage and trust in God?
- ‘Possessing the land’ means claiming the promises of God, despite uncertainty and challenging circumstances, by moving forward in courage and obedience to Him. Can you share an example in your life where you ‘possessed the land’ when you obeyed God and moved forward in faith?
- There are three courageous responses to challenging situations, depending on the circumstances:
- – Surrender control to God
- – Step out and obey God
- – Persevere when it would be easier to quit Can you share an example where you responded in one of these ways in the face of challenging circumstances?
Sometimes it is easier to procrastinate, avoid or hide instead of stepping forward in courage and obedience. Being quick to obey God shows maturity. 1 Corinthians 16:13 exhorts us to be courageous, and obedience often requires courage. In what situation do you need to take a step of obedience to God? Share this with a trusted Life Group member and receive their prayer support.
Flourishing – a Crossway LifeCare initiative Thursday 21st September, 7:30pm, Burwood East Campus This one-night-only event is a fantastic opportunity for Life Groups to have a fun and inspiring evening, as well as a great opportunity to invite other friends. Through theatre, music and dance, Flourishing tells the story of one woman’s recovery journey and the community that made it possible. Through the show, we deepen our empathy for people in tough places and discover our potential for helping others thrive. All profits support Crossway LifeCare’s Family Violence Programs. Tickets: $30. Book at crossway.org.au/flourishingDownload PDF