You Promised – Part 1
Our theme at Crossway for 2023 has been prayerfully discerned as being “You Promised.” This is a theme that we will be pressing into over this year, as we seek out God’s word and share together all the many different ways that God has made and kept his promises to us. These promises are both to his church, and to each individual disciple. We will also look at the promises that He has made to us that are yet to be fulfilled, and that we can eagerly anticipate in the coming age. In Scriptures there are over 31,000 verse, and almost a quarter of all these verse are in some way a promise from God. The challenge that we need to be willing to embrace is what are we going to do with the promises of God, and how will they affect how we live out our everyday lives?
Read: Heb 6:18.
- Think of a time when you have either kept a promise that you have made; or when someone has broken a promise to you. Share this with each other. What impact did this promise have on you?
- What do the words “I Promise” really mean to you? What can influence the depth of meaning that these 2 words carry?
- Read Heb 6:18. What level of trust can we have in God to keep his promises? What gives you this level of trust? What could change this for you?
- How does the level that we trust God impact the way that you live your everyday life? What could you do differently to increase this level of trust? What would need to change? How might this impact the way that you live?
- Why can it be a challenge to fully trust God? What is the risk of us doing so? What can hold us back from this?
- Read 2 Perter 1:5-7. What part does the bible play in increasing your level of trust in God, and what part does your own personal experience help or hinder this trust?
- What is a bible verse that you can lean on when you do not feel that you can trust in God’s promises to you?
We can all live a life that has a greater hope for what the future may look like, and an expectation of what it is that God has yet to fulfill in his promises to us. The challenge we need to face is what is the next step in our journey that God is calling us to take in trusting in Him? What will it take for us to make that step? This week seek out what it is that God is calling you to do as a next step, and make a commitment to take that step forward. Share this with a friend and ask them to keep you accountable to actually do it.Download PDF