The Engine Room – Part 1
Within each human soul is a deep desire to find purpose and fulfillment. For those who have come to know Jesus, He is the one who can fill this void, but even as believers we sense a deeper yearning and hunger for God. We want to know Him more and to have a more intimate relationship with Him. How can we fulfill this hunger for God and satisfy our heart’s desire to grow closer to Him?
- What does it mean to you to hunger for God? How can we recognise if we are truly hungry for God?
- Read Psalm 42:1-2. What does this passage say to you?
- Are there any negative consequences to having an insatiable appetite for knowing and interacting with God on a deeper level? What are the positives aspects of this?
- Have you ever experienced spiritual dryness where your soul felt parched and empty despite wanting to be closer to the Lord? If so, how did you respond to this season of life? What did you learn from it? Did this strengthen your faith or not?
- Read Deuteronomy 8:3. What part does the Bible play in times of dryness for you? How can this help? What role does prayer play in cultivating a stronger bond between ourselves and the Father?
- How do trials and tribulations shape our understanding of who God is and why He allows these things into our lives if He loves us so deeply? Do they draw us closer to God, or push us away? In what ways may unmet expectations have caused barriers between yourself and Him, preventing true intimacy?
- What advice would you give someone who feels distant from God yet desperately desires closeness again?
We are on a spiritual journey with Jesus and there will be times of dryness and times when we feel close to Him. We are called to know how to draw closer to God, and to hunger for Him even when are feeling distracted or distant. What practical steps can you take this week to increase your desire and longing for more of God in your life? Commit to one step in this direction this week.Download PDF