If you could sit opposite Jesus and ask about His second coming, would you be interested in His response? In Matthew 24, Jesus is directly answering His disciples questions on this topic. He addresses this topic to allow us to live a life of readiness and expectancy.
Read Matthew 24:40-51. To help get a good understanding of the passage, try to describe what is happening or being said in your own words. Take a moment to reflect and note down what stands out as important, significant or meaningful to you. What does this passage tell us about God? What does this passage tell us about people? How does this passage change how we live?
1. What comes to mind when you think of the second coming or the return of Christ?
2. Jesus describes His return as being like a thief in the night. Why do you think He describes it this way?
3. What are the implications to us as Jesus followers of not knowing when Jesus will return?
4. Jesus warns us about false prophets and deception, how do we as Christians know how to identify His return?
5. What does it mean for us as Christians to keep watch for Him and to be ready for His return? (Matthew 24:42-44)
Augustine – “He who loves the Lord’s coming is not he who affirms its far off nor he who says it’s near. It is he who, whether it be far or near, awaits it with sincere faith, hope and fervent love.” In light of Christ’s certain return, are you living your life today in readiness?