Jesus’ final words to His disciples were, “Go into all the world and make disciples…” More than just a statement to those present at the time, His words commission every believer throughout the ages. At Crossway we take this commissioning very seriously. Jesus left His mission in the hands of ordinary people so that every one of us gets to play a part. This is something we are each called to do, and for which we will one day need to give an account.
- Read Matt 28:18-20. When you read these verses, what emotions are evoked in you? Why might that be?
- What do I need to do to be obedient to this commissioning? What am I currently doing to fulfill this? What could I do differently?
- Jesus left the mission of the church in the hands of ordinary people like you and I. How do you feel about this? Is this empowering to you, or daunting? Why?
- Read Acts 1:8. What is your understanding of the power of the Holy Spirit coming upon a believer? Why is this essential for us to be effective for God’s mission? What could prevent this?
- “The Church doesn’t have a mission, Jesus’ mission has a Church!” Discuss.
- We are all called to take the mission of God and make it our own. What can we do to make this personal? What is God calling you to do with this?
Every believer has a part to play in making disciples who multiply, but this must come from a heart given completely to God, and not from a sense of duty or obligation. There are many ways we can do this in our everyday lives, with people whom God has already placed in our world. Commit to do at least one of the following steps this week:
- Prayer, Prayer, Prayer!
- Ask a pre-Christian friend to read the Bible with you.
- Do Discovery Bible Method with a friend or group of people. crossway. org.au/dbm
- Find a young leader in whom you can invest.
- Invest in local mission work with finances, resources or your own time and energy.
- Go with the expectation that God will give you an opportunity to be His disciple and share your faith.
- Ak the Holy Spirit to set you free in an area in which you are currently trapped.
- Whatever it is that God has placed on your heart to further His kingdom and multiply disciples. Go.