In the Great Commission, Jesus calls his disciples to go into the world and make disciples, baptising them and teaching them to obey. Our motivation for pursuing the Great Commission is the Great Commandment of our love for God and our love for others. To authentically live out our faith, we need to have Jesus’ heart for all people, especially the poor, marginalised, and those we find difficult to love in our own strength. If we are serious about genuinely living out our faith, then our treatment of those on the fringe of society is a critical element of being a disciple of Jesus.
- How do you see the Great Commission and Great Commandment working together? What do you personally find most challenging in these verses? What do you find inspiring in them?
- Jesus often sought out the marginalised in society and gave them dignity and a voice. Think of an example of this in the Scriptures. How did Jesus do this? What was his motivation?
- Read James 1:27. What is this verse saying to us as disciples of Jesus? Who does this kind of work in our society today?
- The Church is sometimes better known in the wider community for what we oppose rather than for what we are for. Discuss. How might we change this perception?
- If we are to be disciples that multiply we need to be willing to be ‘Jesus with skin on’. What are some examples of how we do this as a church? What might this look like for you personally?
- Read Psalm 61:1-3. Even David, “a man after God’s own heart”, went through a time of significant challenge and distress, being homeless and estranged from family. Being in a tough place can be a reality for any one of us, regardless of our current circumstances. How does this change your perspective on others who are doing life tough? What can we learn from David during these times?
If we are serious about being disciples of Jesus then we need to be willing to live this out in all aspects of our lives. To be ‘Jesus with skin on’ we need to be living examples through how we love others, especially those on the margin of our society. What is one practical way that you can demonstrate God’s love this week to someone who does not know him? Commit to doing one thing in this area this week.
Note: As Monday March 9th is a public holiday, our next Going Deeper will be sent out on Tuesday March 10th..