I Am – The Light of the World
Jesus throughout the gospels made numerous varied “I am….” Statements about himself. Over the next few months, we will be exploring a number of these statements and how they apply to us. Today we look at the statement “I am the Light of the world.” Jesus made this statement in the backdrop of a 7-day festival where Jerusalem was lit up each night for this period during this celebration which would have given an even more dramatic impact to the first century hearers of these words.
- Read John 8:12-20. What do you believe that Jesus meant by the statement “I am the light of the world.”? How was this claim relevant to the early disciples? How was it interpreted? What might this statement mean to us today?
- Read John 3:19-21. Why do you think that Jesus contrasted good and evil with Light and dark? What was he referring to when he said, “Those who live by truth come into the light?” What does this mean to you personally?
- One point Pastor Tim made was that we do not need to Hide. Why do we tend to want to hide that which is not of God? Where might this thinking come from? What can we do to change this?
- Read John 12:35-36. What might Jesus have meant by the statement we are to “Become Children of Light?”
- Pastor Tim suggested that to be in the light we need to be obedient to God, and to obey the last thing or the next this that God has called you to do. What does this mean to you? What is the last thing that God has called you to do that you are yet to follow through on?
- To be a disciple that multiplies, we need to be willing to pass on what we learn to others. With whom can you share, that which God is teaching to you at this time?
For us to continue to walk in the light, we need to shift the needle in areas of our life that are not in alignment with what God is asking us to do. This may mean that we need to develop a discipline into a habit into a lifestyle. What is one area in your life that God is currently calling you to adopt a new discipline in, to be light in the world for him? Make a commitment today to do this.Download PDF