The early disciples had the privilege of walking and living with Jesus but they did not necessarily have big faith from day one of following Him. In Matthew 8, they were terrified by the storm even though the Prince of Peace, Jesus himself was in the boat with them. They needed to learn, understand and experience what it means to follow Jesus and live out authentic peace on a daily basis, regardless of the circumstances. We too may find ourselves in turmoil and difficult situations, experiencing various storms in our lives. God has promised that as we trust in Him, He will lead us to authentic peace.
- What does it mean to you to honour your parents? How can we honour God in our personal lives?
- What was your experience of family life as you were growing up? Do you recall it as an uplifting or challenging time in your formative years?
- Read Exodus 20:12. The word ‘honour’ refers to ‘giving weight to’ your parents. How does this concept apply in your circumstances? What are some barriers you face in obeying God’s commandment?
- Read Proverbs 1:8-9. We can honour our children by raising them in God’s way. Share with the group some positive ways that we could positively influence children. In what ways can we provide training and educate them in a way that honours God?
- Pastor Dale mentioned that we can learn about honour within our home when we carry our family’s name well and when we raise our children from a position of approval rather than for approval. Have you seen this personally? How could we raise our children from a position of approval rather than for approval?
- Read Philippians 2:3-4. In honouring others by celebrating their gifts and speaking positively about them, we add value to their lives. Share with the group some specific ways you can honour your friends. What are some challenges you may face?
- We honour God by carrying His name well and by obeying Jesus’ teaching through our words and deeds. Share with the group some opportunities you have to honour God with your time, your treasure and your talents. What are some of the obstacles you may encounter as you run the race for God?
This week, pray that the Holy Spirit will guard our words and actions so that we can encourage people around us in a positive way. Think of someone you could honour. What is one thing you could do to honour them? Commit to doing it.