Core Strength – Part 1
This week, we begin a new series looking at the core strengths needed by disciples of Jesus. As we mature as believers, the ability to hear and discern God’s voice is an important strength for us to develop. In the Bible we see God using all manner of ways to communicate to His people, from Scripture to prophetic words, dreams, visions and even a burning bush. God’s methods of communication are not limited, we simply need to be attentive to Him in everyday life. Prayer and Bible reading are the starting point, along with a simple question, ‘What are you saying to me today, God?’
Read: 1 Samuel 3:1-21
DiscussRead 1 Samuel 3:1-21. Re-read the passage aloud then take a moment to consider what key points stand out to you personally. Which of these four steps do you find comes most naturally to you? Which is the hardest to do? Why?
- How has God communicated with you in the past? Did you recognise it was God speaking to you at the time?
- How might this passage help us understand how God speaks to us today?
- What can we do to discern between our own thoughts and desires and those of God? Is this a challenge for you?
- Read verses 17-18. What does Eli teach us about responding obediently when we hear God’s voice, even if it’s something difficult or unexpected?
- In what ways might fear prevent us from listening and responding appropriately when hearing God’s voice in our lives? What do we do with this?
- Pastor Tim suggested four steps we can take to better hear from God:
- Pay attention
- – What (or who) keeps me awake at night?
- – What stands out to me in Scripture at present?
- – What am I praying about?
- Talk it through (with someone else)
- Have a plan (what will I do about this?)
- Follow through (commit to being obedient)
- Pay attention
Which of these four steps do you find comes most naturally to you? Which is the hardest to do? Why?
Scripture demonstrates that God speaks to His people today, and we all have the capacity to hear from Him. This takes practice and we do not get it right every time. Which of the above steps can you take this week (as a group or individually) to help you listen more effectively to God? What do you need to put in place this week to grow in this area? Commit to doing so and share it with a trusted friendDownload PDF