“In the opening message to “The Abide in Me” Series last week, Pastor Heather shared how Mary washed Jesus’ feet with perfume and wiped them dry with her hair. This was a heartfelt display of her desire to honour him, show her affection & worship of Jesus, and also her willingness to take the role of a servant in washing His feet. (John 12). This week we see Jesus demonstrating this same act of servanthood, as an example to his disciples when He also washes their feet. This was an act of love, humble leadership and servanthood that He wanted to demonstrate for them to follow.
Read John 13:1-17
- How can we show our affection and worship for Jesus today? How do we spend time in His presence?
- Jesus demolishes the “pecking order” of society in His loving act. Where do you see this “pecking order” happening today? How can we be counter cultural to this?
- Read Philippians 2:3. What might this look like in your current context? Is this difficult to do? Why / Why not?
- Jesus shared with his disciples that to serve him would have many costs. What are some of the types of costs that a disciple may face in serving Him today?
- “We may serve without love, but we cannot love without serving?” Do you agree or disagree with this statement? How might either of these statements be a reality?
- What kind of attitudes do we have when the Lord calls us to serve? What attitude should we have?
We are all called to humbly serve Jesus through both serving and demonstrating our love to those around us who may not always be easy to love. Take a moment now to pray and ask the Holy Spirit to have His way in you, and to change and challenge you to grow as a humble servant following the example of our Lord Jesus.
What does God need to change in your heart for you to be more willing to humble yourself, and to serve God in a new way? What is your part in this?